Sunday, January 06, 2008

Lack of Sleep

People tell me that working in a shifting schedule should be no big deal. You just adjust the time that you think of as "day". In reality though, that isn't true. Our body (at least mine anyway) seems to strongly respond to the fact that the sun is in the sky or if it is the moon sailing among the clouds. Even if I am busy doing a lot of things, with the sun down, my brain feels more sluggish, especially in the hours between midnight and 6 am.

The funny thing is that as soon as I look out the window and see the sun rising, I too feel awakened, though not necessarily refreshed (my bleary eyes tell me I haven't had enough sleep). I feel a little more optimistic and I feel that I can complete my day on a high. Thank God for the Sun! That sounds funny coming from me - the NOT morning person :)

I also find it tough to rest during the day time hours since our household is anything but quiet, especially with everyone in holiday mode still. The door to my room is periodically opened and closed as my LP goes about his day, the kids peek in to see if I'm awake or they want to ask permission for something. Then there's the phone - thank goodness they don't wake me up for phone calls unless it is urgent!

More often than not, I find myself waking every hour or two. That means I didn't really sleep. Even if I get 6, 8 or even 10 hours, I still feel crummy and am living for my next day off. It also means I have little or no energy to spare for most of the activities that my friends or family are into. It is an extra effort to be where they need me to be (let alone for parties and such) as I battle the call of my bed every additional moment I am awake past my "day". I sometimes wonder if I will ever adjust like so many others have.

While I try to keep up with my need for sleep, the rest of my life continues and the balancing act proceeds. The juggling act of health, my lp, motherhood, relationships with other family members and friends and work , and the battle to have a LIFE not just exist continues.

No comments:

A Mizchvz Mind