Sunday, July 13, 2008

Legacy Syndrome

When I was growing up, you couldn't get me to do any of the craft stuff. Home economics? Art? The talent for these things went to my sister as far as I was concerned. I felt all thumbs when it came to sewing; and had no patience to improve my stitches. Typical of youth, not much for patience with the things you don't see of value to one's self (at least at that point in time)

In those days, my grandmother would show us all sorts of craft things (knitting, crochet, cross stitch) and we might become slightly interested but in a very short while, not fun anymore means...goodbye. If I had to do any project for school, I would start it, tell my family about it. I would procrastinate and at the end, it would be ate and or mom to the rescue to help me finish. Thank you, ate, for your generosity and love. I know you often lost sleep helping me out while I got a full night's rest.

Lately though I have found myself drawn to this craft shop. I entered on a whim. I was looking for something to interest my daughter since she seems to have inhereted the crafting gift. I ended up with some weaving plates that have been really useful. I actually find it fun. It still isn't my favorite thing in the world to do but I take pleasure in seeing something beautiful come out of my clumsy efforts.

It may never be a masterpiece by the world standard - it is more like craft by number than a piece created purely by talent and imagination - still I enjoy it. There is something soothing in the peace around me while my hands are moving, putting the threads in order. I don't know if I would ever get to the point where I would be weaving cloth (need the right equipment for that) but who knows? I even find myself thinking about other things I can make with my hands, whodathunk?

Could it have been brought on by motherhood? Is it part of growing older? Is it an instinct in us to begin to try to create, to leave a mark on our world? Nor sure but I do know that I am enjoying discovering that I am not as hopeless in these skills as I once was.

No comments:

A Mizchvz Mind