Sunday, July 27, 2008

The Prydain Series

I recently started re-reading some old favorites in my library. I say old favorites because the last time I read these stories I was in elementary. My joy in the story hasn't diminished though my appreciation of them is different.

Today I started on the works of Lloyd Alexander. Thanks to some wonderful book sales, I now 4 out of the 5 books in the Prydain series. The first book in the series is The Book of Three. It's followed by Black Couldron. Next is The Castle of Llyr then Taran the Wanderer. Last but ot least is the High King.

The stories focus on Taran, assistant pig keeper of Caer Daelben. He dreams of becoming a hero, of having great adventures yet doubts he will ever have them. Fate has a way of granting one's wish, hence the chinese saying, "Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it."

I found myself journeying along with Taran, assistant pig keeper, as he sets of to find Hen Wen, the oracle pig. He meets up with some interesting companions - Prince Gwydion, Gurgi and Eilonwyn. I found myself agreeing with Eilonwyn that assistant pig keepers (and men in general) can be very stupid. The first book is mainly about their discovery that Arawn is once again out to rule Prydain. His first step, to get rid of Hen Wen. Being one knowledgeable pig, she escapes, with Taran hot on her heels. He loses track of her and eventualy meets up with the others. Anything more I say may spoil the book for anyone else so I better stop here.

The rest of the books pick up the story of Taran as he grows older and realizes he has more dreams, more he wants to know. There is his need to know who his parents are - aren't we all curious? This is his quest in the 4th book.

Naturally, as with most stories, yes, there is a romance that develops in the series. Thankfully though it isn't one that springs up overnight. It realistically grows with the series.

The books remind me much of the works of CS Lewis (Narnia) or a child's version of Tolkein's Lord of the Rings. It carries much the same feel and a similar imagery. It is a good series, excellent for adolescents who themselevs are trying to figure out who they are and what they really want to do.

I'd say more but I hate giving spoilers that may mean that someone won't read the book anymore. Enjoy the stories of Prydain and Taran.


No comments:

A Mizchvz Mind