Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Crafting A Holiday

In most parts of the city, the moment that the month ends in ber, it is time to break out the christmas gear. There is nothing that Filipinos love more than to celebrate and this season is an absolute favorite.

In our family, the tree doesn't go up til a few weeks before Christmas. Usually we put up the decorations sometime in the 2nd week of December. It is a family event with everyone helping to setup the tree, decorate it and set up the other little touches throughout the living room.

This year, I have been both excited and worried about Christmas. I love the season of giving. It is fun to try and come up with the perfect give for the loved ones. I enjoy the christmas shopping with my siblings and the wrapping of presents. This year, we've begun teaching the kids about what the season means and the traditions we follow.

The worry has been more of how to manage to get gifts for everyone. The cost of things has been rising and there may not be enough for everyone. It is more difficult to find the time to go around and do my Christmas shopping. There is just so many people on my list. How do I make the budget stretch? I figure though that somehow, it will happen. It somehow always does.

Christmas has apparently also brought out a new interest in me. Growing up I absolutely disliked arts and crafts - no patience for it. Lately, I find myself wondering if I could actually make those quilts or knits or whatsits. I find myself thinking fondly of my maternal grandmother who exposed us to the joy of knitting, crocheting and other creative projects that actually allows me to believe that I can do these, if I just put my mind to it - and practice. I am thankful I won't be doing it all on my own though. My sister Tina has always been gifted in these things and so is my daughter.

I have to go back to poring over the christmas crafts book I have here. Still haven't quite figured out how to make one of the pieces I want for christmas .

No comments:

A Mizchvz Mind